Emergency Care

If you think that the problem may be immediately life threatening or a more serious injury, such as a broken bone, then the GP Surgery or Pharmacy is not the right place to get help.

Your GP Surgery and Community Services are there to deal with routine medical problems and more serious longterm conditions that aren’t currently an emergency.

If you think the problem is an emergency then please consider these options.

Call 999 in a medical emergency – when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.

Medical emergencies can include:

Call 999 immediately if you or someone else is having a heart attack or stroke. Every second counts with these conditions. Also call 999 if you think someone has had a major trauma. Major trauma is often the result of a serious road traffic accident, a stabbing, a shooting, a fall from height, or a serious head injury.

Visit NHSChoices for more information about calling 999


An A&E department (also known as emergency department or casualty) deals with genuine life-threatening emergencies, such as:

Less severe injuries can be treated in urgent care centres or minor injuries units (MIUs). An A&E is not an alternative to a GP appointment. If your GP practice is closed you can call NHS 111, which will direct you to the best local service to treat your injury. Alternatively, you can visit an NHS walk-in centre (WIC), which will also treat minor illnesses without an appointment.

Visit NHSChoices for more information about A&E


You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation.

Call 111 if:

  • you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

NHS 111 does not provide routine medical assessment or services. For less urgent health needs, contact your GP or local pharmacist in the usual way.

If your GP Surgery is closed then NHS 111 can connect you with the local Out of Hours GP Service.

Visit NHSChoices for more information about NHS 111


If you have an illness that is not life threatening, contact your GP surgery first if possible. You can also call NHS 111, which can give you advice or direct you to the best local service to treat your injury.

If your injury is not serious, you can get help from a minor injuries unit or urgent care centre, rather than going to an A&E department. This will allow A&E staff to concentrate on people with serious, life-threatening conditions and will save you a potentially long wait.

Visit NHSChoices for more information about Urgent Care & Walk-in Services


Information reproduced from NHSChoices 6/7/17

Translate »